Sunday, August 9, 2015

Cards From Brian


Returning from my Baltimore trip I found a package from Brian who writes the entertaining Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary blog. In it was a stack of 2015 Orioles, none of which I had. Conclusion...Brian is omniscient or my current card collection is seriously lacking. Probably some of both at play here.

Anyway....a couple of Chris Davis cards. Timely since Davis has come out of his funk at the plate it seems. And it was a pretty long funk.

I thought I had picked up all the Orioles in the '15 Stadium Club set. I was wrong. I'm not sure what it was that made me think that. There were a couple more from the same set in there. A Steve Pierce (I'm hoping last season wasn't the Harmonic Convergence of his career)....


...and Manny Machado. The Machado fits nicely into another post I'm working on so I'll save it for that one.

For a couple of years I picked up boxes of Allen and Ginter and participated in Gint-A-Cuffs. The set bowled me over when I first discovered it, at least the concept did. The contest was a lot of fun but I gave it up, for a several reasons. I guess you can blame the fact that I got tired of cards of game show hosts and guys wearing moose costumes.

Look, I know everybody loves A&G, and I'm not trying to be Little Miss Contrary. I do pick up Orioles in the set when I come across them. Brian provided me with several, including Davis, J.J. Hardy and the luck-less Chris Tillman.






Also in the group was Jonathan Schoop, about whose name I have a mental block. No matter how many times I hear Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer mention him (the correct pronunciation is 'Scope' as in the mouthwash) EVERY TIME I see it I want to say 'Shoop' as in...well, this:


That's not all that came in Brian's envelope. But several of the others, as mentioned, fit neatly into another post. I'll have that out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment