Monday, November 10, 2014

Monday Morning Quarterback #37 Chris Weinke 2002 Fleer Ultra



In this ongoing series of posts I am going to feature cards from my fantasy football player collection, specifically the 117 quarterbacks I've had on my team's roster since 1980. I have one selected card for each player in my All-Time Flyers binder. Through the years I've tried to use as many different card varieties as possible while holding on to my preference which is: a card issued in a year I owned the player showing him in the proper team uni in a vertical format. Card availability and my whims have had a big impact on that standard as we will see. 

NFL Info: Chris Weinke spent six seasons playing baseball in the Blue Jays' organization before enrolling at Florida State and playing quarterback there. He won a National Championship and a Heisman and then was drafted in 2001 by the Panters. He served mostly as a backup to Jake Delhomme and spent his final NFL season with the 49ers in 2007. He has worked in the financial arena and co-owns a football camp.

Fantasy Impact: In a word...none. I picked him up on waivers in 2003 immediately after the draft as a 'handcuff' for Jake Delhomme but dropped him after Week One of the season. Why I bothered with him in the first place is a mystery to me now. I drafted four QBs in that draft. Greedy I guess.

The Card: Not bad at all actually. I like the front photo and design in general. I might have done something different with the player name/team helmet area. I'd try deleting the blue element and using the team logo instead of the helmet but all-in-all I'm good with it. The back has what a card back requires, a different photo of the player, career stats (Weinke had only one year to list), his vitals and a short highlight blurb. I've certainly seen worse cards in this era.

No comments:

Post a Comment