Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday Morning Quarterback #6 2006 Fleer Ultra Dream Team Brett Favre



In this ongoing (weekly?) series of posts I am going to feature cards from my fantasy football player collection, specifically the 117 quarterbacks I've had on my team's roster since 1980. I have one selected card for each player in my All-Time Flyers binder. Through the years I've tried to use as many different card varieties as possible while holding on to my preference which is: a card issued in a year I owned the player showing him in the proper team uni in a vertical format. Card availability and my whims have had a big impact on that standard as we will see. 
NFL Info: Well, Brett Favre is Brett Favre. Hall of Fame player. Favre quarterbacked for Southern Mississippi for four years before being picked in the second round of the 1991 NFL Draft by Atlanta. He was traded to Green Bay before the next draft and became the Packers' starting quarterback in the fourth game of the 1992 season, and started every game through the 2007 season. He was traded to the New York Jets and started at quarterback for the 2008 season and signed as a free agent with the Vikings for 2009. He made an NFL record 297 consecutive starts (321 including playoffs).

He is the only player to win the AP Most Valuable Player three consecutive times (1995–97). He led teams to eight division championships, five NFC Championship Games, and two Super Bowls, winning Super Bowl XXXI.

He holds NFL records for most career touchdown passes, most career passing yards, most career pass completions, most career pass attempts, most career interceptions thrown, most consecutive starts by a player, most consecutive starts by a quarterback, and most career victories as a starting quarterback.

Fantasy Angle: In a league like ours that was quarterback oriented and used keepers it wasn't a surprise that Favre was with one franchise, the Heroes, for over a decade. He more or less became identified with that team and it got to the point that when I thought of Favre I thought of the Heroes before I thought of the Packers.

When he finally became 'draftable', with skills supposedly diminishing, I landed him for 2007. He had a pretty solid year for the Pack that season and it wasn't his fault that my team missed the playoffs with a 7-6 record. I drafted him again for 2008 and was disappointed in what he did that year. But even with his 'down' numbers I cruised to a 10-3 record and a division title with a bye into the semi finals which I won easily. In our "Hughes Bowl" championship game Favre scored just nine points and I lost by seven. Had he hit his 18 point per game average for that year I'd have been the league champ. So goes the life of a fantasy geek. For the record I had Jake Delhomme and Jason Campbell on my roster and available to the title game. They both also totaled nine points that week. So at least I can't blame my crappy line-up selection abilities for the loss.

The Card: This 2006 Fleer Ultra card misses Favre's tenure with my team but I have it in the binder just to add variety. Nothing particularly good or bad about it. I'm assuming it is part of a subset but I've never checked and don't care enough to look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment