Monday, March 18, 2013

Random 80's Crap from my Hobby Closet, Frank Robinson Edition

Recently I pulled a random box out of my 'hobby closet' and opened it just for the hell of it. I have about a dozen of these boxes, most are the document storage-type things and I haven't looked at them in years. Inside the one I chose I found all sorts of junk I had picked up in the 80's. There is no logic to any of it. I bought whatever struck my fancy back in those days and I saved everything. I found small boxed sets that I had pulled the Orioles out of, commercially produced and team issued postcards, odd ball TCMA trash, unlicensed photo cards, pocket schedules, ticket stubs and much more. While I'm off visiting the Big Apple I thought I'd put up a few posts showing the 'stuff' I once valued so highly. 
Here are some Frank Robinson-related items that came out of the box of 'stuff'.

First up is a Starliner sticker discussed a couple of posts back.


And now a TCMA-issued postcard-style card. I've got more TCMA crap than the law allows. These cards are just one example. They are postcard size and feature a fairly detailed bio on the reverse, plus a neat 'floating head' portrait. I like how Frank is a Red on the front and an Oriole picture AND description) on the back. Seems fair. They have a copyright date of 1982. I've got a boatload of this set. I'll show a couple more in another post.



1985 Topps Collectors Series Frank Robinson. These were distributed through Woolworth stores as I recall. I only found this one in the box. But I DID find an '86 boxed set of Collectors Series cards. I know you can't wait to see some of those!





Speaking of Woolworths... way back when my job took me to downtown Houston every day I used to visit the Woolworth store often. Supposedly it was the largest in the chain and they had everything. Darn good burgers at the lunch counter, too. I took a date there once when we were doing something downtown. Needless to say I'm NOT married to that girl. LOL  But someday I'll relate that whole story. 

And finally this is a Big League Chew card depicting the 500 home run 'club' as it was in 1986 when this card was issued. This is the 'group card' (checklist) and there were 11 others forming the set. I have no idea where this came from. 



Just for the hell of it, here is the late, much lamented Woolworth store as it stood in Houston until the mid 90s:




A video from across the street and down the block:




The interior of that store circa 1964:

And the luncheon menu:


And finally the gal I took there.....

ummm, no

No way I can post her picture. If my wife reads this....I HAVE NO pics of her. ;-0

1 comment:

  1. If you still feel these are valuable, you can store it at a better place other than your hobby closet. They'd stay dry and won't be affected with stuff that happens in your home, such as bad weather for example. You've spent years collecting these, so it's a good idea to keep them in a safe and dry place.
    Ruby Badcoe @ WilliamsDataManagement.com

    ReplyDelete