Wednesday, September 26, 2012

1960 Leaf Brooks Robinson & Luis Aparicio


For a set of black and white cards the '60 Leaf cards have a weird aesthetic appeal for me. I think some of it is due to the 'aura' that surrounds each players head. Here is 'St. Brooks' and done below is 'St. Luis'.

It's not a very popular set it seems. Leaf went head to head with Topps and included a marble in their packs instead of gum. I remember having (or at least seeing) these when I was a young collector but I don't recall the packs or the marble. The checklist doesn't have a ton of stars among the 144 players but you will find Duke Snider among the dozen or so Hall of Famers.

The PSA site has a pretty thorough (and wicked) critique of the set. I think they are a little harsh but they do make some good points along side the insights. I have a handful of the cards including these two and while I like them I can't see myself chasing the rest.








1 comment:

  1. The late '70s/early '80s TCMA sets that used the 1960 Leaf design is what introduced that style to my generation. I liked those cards, too. Probably because they have a sort-of night game quality.

    ReplyDelete